Admission procedure for graduates without a German university degree
A Bachelor's degree in Economics from a foreign university with high international reputation will be recognized if we reckon that the implied chances of succeeding in the demanding Master’s programme are at least as high as those of a student with a BSc degree in Economics from the University of Bayreuth with a final grade of “gut” (2.5 or better in the German grading system). This necessitates that the completed curriculum is sufficiently similar and the obtained grades are sufficiently good. Whether the criteria for acceptance into the Master's programme are met or not will be reviewed on an individual basis prior to the enrollment process.
A minimum requirement concerning the comparability of degrees from European universities is that the combined credits in microeconomics, macroeconomics, econometrics, statistics and math core courses are at least 35 in the European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System (ECTS). For applicants with degrees from universities outside the European Union and without a formal Partnership / Learning Agreement with the University of Bayreuth, we require similar credits in these core subjects and, in addition, individual GRE General Test Scores in the top 25 %.
In case you want to enroll in the Master's programme in Economics but do not have a German university degree, it is necessary to apply with scans of the following documents:
2. proof of English language skills (CEFR Level B2, IELTS Band 7.0, TOEFL iBT 90, or TOEFL PBT 575; no CET) unless you have obtained a university degree in an English-language programme in Australia, Ireland, New Zealand, UK, or USA
3. proof of German language skills (CEFR level A1 - this requirement is waived if you have obtained a high school or university degree in a German language programme in Germany, Austria, or Switzerland; if you cannot provide proof now then you will have to provide it within one year after enrollment, i.e., you may also apply without German language skills, but then you will need to learn some German in parallel to your studies in economics)
4. secondary school leaving certificate
5. proof of previously obtained university degrees and study records (transcripts) which indicate all courses taken and grades obtained
6. Bachelor grading scale issued by your former university
7. proof of GRE General Test scores in the top 25 % if your degree is from a university outside the European Union and without a formal Partnership / Learning Agreement with the University of Bayreuth.
For any official document that is not already in German or English, we require not only a scan of the original but also of an official translation into German or English.
The complete set of documents is to be uploaded:
In case your previous degree is recognized as a comparable one for the prgramme’s purposes, you will receive an email confirmation of your admission at UBT. The admission offer also appears for download in your CAMPUSonline Account. This can be used by non-EU citizens in ordert o apply for a visa. So be sure to check your inbox, your spam folder and yourCAMPUSonline Account regularly. Originals of the submitted documents must be presented upon enrollment.